Are you getting a lot of spam in your inbox? Or are the important emails you terribly need getting marked as spam? Though these cases are rare, there is always a possibility for them to happen.
Couple of months back, Google had rolled out a new feature called “Gmail Spam Filter” about which very few are aware of. Using Gmail spam filter you can mark unnecessary e-mails as spam so they don’t enter your inbox again. Also you can mark spam e-mails as important so that you never miss an important e-mail.
Here is how you can configure Gmail spam filter settings or Gmail filter settings in general.
Configure Gmail Spam Filter Settings
1. Log in to your Gmail account and click on a gear like settings icon on the extreme right of your screen.
2. Click on “Filters” and click on the “Create a new filter” link.
3. In the small form that appears, you can fill the required data.
Under “From” & “To” you can add the necessary e-mail id’s.
You can add the subject accordingly.
You can add a few words which you want to be there in the e-mails you receive under “Has the words” and a few words you don’t want to be present in the e-mails you receive under “Doesn’t have”.
You can leave any of the field’s empty if you don’t want the emails to be filtered in that criteria. Filling one field is necessary (what will Gmail filter otherwise?)
Once you have filled the necessary fields you can click on “Test Search” button to check if the settings are working. Once done click on the “Next Step” button.
4. On the next page you can select the action you’d like to take on messages that match the criteria you specified in the previous step.
You can mark the emails that match your criteria as read, archive the emails, star them automatically, apply them a label, forward it, delete it or never send them to spam.
You have to select at least one option here. After you have selected at least one of the check boxes, click on “Update Filter”.
5. Your filter will be created and you can later on edit it by, Gmail Settings -> Filter -> Edit
If you have any questions regarding Gmail filter, we are always here to help you.